Blogs > Cooking from Scratch

Chef Stacy believes that cooking from scratch and using the best ingredients are the secrets to preparing delicious and memorable meals. She has created dozens of classes for the home chef and teaches students how to master culinary techniques and recipes in just one session. Read on to see what she's dishing up for The Oakland Press today....

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Slow Eating in a Fast Paced, Plugged-In World

I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home. Because of the many advances in technology, I'm fortunate that I can do my job from almost anywhere in the world. I recently made the transition from employee to entrepreneur, leaving Mirepoix as its Director to instead be its creative consultant, a move that has worked out well for both me and my client.

In the last month, I've had the opportunity to work within the confines of a schedule that actually makes sense. In addition to my schedule being more convenient, it has also afforded me the opportunity to do much more research and development of recipes, food trends, and other ways to experience food.

The biggest change I've noticed is that I no longer eat lunch or dinner at my desk. Now, when it's time to enjoy a meal, I actually sit and enjoy it, instead of hovering over my keyboard, checking my texts, flipping back and forth between email and my three Facebook pages. Also, this is the first time in fifteen years that I can share a meal regularly with other people, rather than quickly eating my meal, isolated in my office.

This new experience is a revelation to me! As ridiculous as that may sound, and I know it's ridiculous, it's been incredible. As a working chef, there are not many opportunities to sit and enjoy a meal because of the hectic pace of the restaurant. Also, working with food all of the time has a way of depressing your appetite until you realize that it's been about 16 hours since your last "meal".

With the frantic pace of our careers now, chefs are not alone in this scenario - many people now, more than ever, are pressed for time, starved for a meaningful meal with friends or family, and eating less nutritious foods while sitting behind the wheel or hunched over their desks. If you find yourself in this rut, try to carve out at least 15 minutes, once a week, to enjoy a meal instead of rushing through it (15 minutes is still very quick!), and see for yourself what a difference it makes. If time allows, increase the time and frequency. You will be amazed at how your senses will come alive, and how incredible it can be to eat something as simple as a bowl of yogurt and fruit can be completely restorative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home