Blogs > Cooking from Scratch

Chef Stacy believes that cooking from scratch and using the best ingredients are the secrets to preparing delicious and memorable meals. She has created dozens of classes for the home chef and teaches students how to master culinary techniques and recipes in just one session. Read on to see what she's dishing up for The Oakland Press today....

Monday, February 21, 2011

Snowed In

Like many of you, I found myself snowed in this morning, and even tried to challenge the wall of snow brought to my doorstep, courtesy of the city trucks who plowed my street. Stuck between my driveway and my street, it took two of my neighbors, three shovels, a snow blower AND a tow rope to free my front-wheel drive GMC from the white wall I foolishly thought I could drive through.

I had already made a batch of bean soup earlier, but the free labor I enjoyed requires another pot to share with the wonderful neighbors who finally freed my car. Not interested in venturing out on to the roads (the traffic report indicated roads in my area were still snow-covered, I wanted to create something with what I had in the pantry and the fridge.

This, of course, is one of the most wonderful things about a Soup Supper - using what you have, so as long as it's fresh and you have a good understanding of how to cook without a recipe. Unlike brownies, cookies, or even Rice Krispie treats, a lot of times, you can pull a delicious soup together without a trip to the store or tedious measurements.

Add a batch of cornbread, or even some tasty crackers, you can make a comforting meal for yourself, your family, or, in my case, neighbors without a lot of hassle. Snow days can be harried enough - especially if you've found yourself in a pile of the white stuff and nowhere to go. Make dinner as simple as possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home